Thursday 12 September 2013

REVIEW: MUA MATTE LIPSTICK COLLECTION

MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_1
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_3
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_2
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_4
MUA_Matte_Lipstick_Totally_Nude
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_Peachy_Keen
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_Pouty_Pink
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_Scarlett_Siren
MUA_Matte_Lipsticks_Wild_Berry
MUA_Matte_Lipstick_Swatches


MUA are on fire at the moment when it comes to new releases. There was the Undress Me range which contained products you still can't get hold of now due to their immense popularity, the 1D line that sold out within a matter of days and now we beauty junkies have even more new products to play with. To accompany the new MUA Matte Eyeshadow Palette and the Smokey Eye Palette (which I'm still to get hold of and try out) are these MUA Matte Lipsticks.


Sigh, you all know me well enough by now to know I can't stop at just purchasing one when it comes to MUA products so I bought all five to test and review. I need someone watching over me when I place internet orders from now on because I can't help myself.
The packaging has moved on from the usual black fare of the drugstore to a white. I think it's a good idea personally; it's a way of standing out from competitors at least. It's the usual lipstick fare apart from that - a basic pull off lid with a wind-up bullet. I love how MUA put colour indicators at the bottom of their lipsticks - it makes it so much easier to know which shade to pluck from my stash when I'm in a rush or simply can't be bothered to hunt for the specific one I'm after. 
There are five shades available in this range for £1 each. There's something for everyone - going from a nude to a berry.


Matte finishes are my favourite - especially in autumn and winter (I tend to change my colours and finishes according to the season - it's just personal preference). The product itself was not what I was expecting at all though. The formula is quite waxy in comparison to other matte lipsticks I own. That being said, they don't drag on the lips even though the bullet is fairly hard and don't cling to dry patches like the others do which is a massive bonus. They don't feel heavy on the lips and they feel quite moisturizing.
They're aren't amazingly pigmented but, in my opinion, that could be a bonus. Sometimes with matte finishes they tend to be very powerful in the pigmentation arena and need blotting down substantially for a more subtle 'bitten' finish. These MUA versions are very buildable though so you can go for a sheerer look (if there is such a thing with matte finishes) or a more colourful look with a heavier application.
I've found that they apply with a little bit of a sheen but that wears down to a matte-r finish. They wear evenly and the time depends on what you're doing: I've found the wear to be about 2 hours if I'm eating, drinking or talking a lot but it can stretch to three if I'm being less active with my mouth (*wink* don't be rude now...). I haven't tried these lipsticks with a lip liner but I can only assume that they'd last a lot longer as lip liners do tend to lengthen the longevity of lipsticks.
TOTALLY NUDE - This is the least favourite of the colours as it's been a while since I personally went in for the 'concealer' lips look. I would say it's nude but with a touch of pink which makes it a little bit more wearable than a more yellow toned nude.


PEACHY KEEN - This shade is a lovely light peachy with a hint of pink. There's something almost coral about it on the actual lip. It's really pretty and I won't hesitate to reach for it when I want something bright.


POUTY PINK - No new lip collection can be released without some kind of pink and this is the offering from MUA. It's quite a Barbie pink but because it's slightly blue toned so it makes teeth look whiter.


SCARLET SIREN - This is the most pigmented of all the shades in the collection and is a true Hollywood red. It's very easy to wear and if you want to try one of these lipsticks for yourself this would be the shade that I suggest you pick up first.


WILD BERRY - This is my personal favourite right now but that's because it's such a wearable berry. It's dark without washing out my pale skin and because it's buildable I can go for a hint of berry or I can take it very dark.


All in all, although they're not the usual Matte lipsticks available in the drugstore, certainly not what I was expecting anyway, they're definitely worth a look at and a purchase if you're in the market for a little pick-me-up (sometimes that's all we beauty lovers need). Will I repurchase in the future? I haven't taken Wild Berry off yet so that will be a repurchase for sure.
MUA are also bringing out a new Luxe range in October which looks to be very exciting: beautiful eye shadow palettes ranging from the romantically pretty to the scandalously glittery, as well as new Velvet Lip Lacquers that look incredibly pigmented from pictures I've seen.


You can read all about the new MUA releases on British Beauty Blogger.
MUA Matte Lipsticks (RRP £1.00 each) are available in Superdrug stores this week. You can also order yours online from the MUA website. You can follow MUA on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and the MUA Blog for news, product launches, reviews, tutorials, discounts and much more. 

32 comments:

  1. I will definitely be buying these, I absolutely love matte lipsticks! This was a great review, I want all five shades! :) xx
    www.beautiful-solutions.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Stacey for saying it's a great review! They're a lovely addition to my stash for sure! xxx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this great post...think I may buy all of them!

    http://paintincolour.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - glad you liked it! Haha I think it's a must! xxx

      Delete
  3. Pouty Pink looks lovely! I may need to pick a couple of these up, especially at that price!
    Great review :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely something to treat yourself to - especially as they're so affordable! xxx

      Delete
  4. I agree, I like quite a few things from their Undress Me range. These lipsticks looks pretty and wearable colours. Esp Peachy Keen - I would wear that alot
    http://www.letstalkbeauty.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very wearable for sure - I'm excited for the Luxe range the most - I think they'll be really great products! xxx

      Delete
  5. i think the berry one would be my fav too, lovely photographs btw! :) can't wait for the luxe range x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kia <3 The berry is such a fab shade! xxx

      Delete
  6. I was put off MUA lipsticks after the last one I bought had a weird sparkly effect but that peachy one looks gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These don't contain any shimmer or sparkle so they'll be perfect if you hate that finish xxx

      Delete
  7. I think I have just found more items to add to my lipstick wishlist - especially the berry shade!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wild Berry is fabulous - definitely pick them up when you get the chance! xxx

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. It's great if you like those kinds of colours :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Peachy keen and Pouty pink are my sort of shades, love them :)

    Sophierosehearts x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really wearable and very pretty! xxx

      Delete
  10. The dark berry shade looks right up my street, I've been impressed with MUA products - brilliant quality! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think they're better quality than people think they are for the price! xxx

      Delete
  11. Oh man don't do this to me, I don't need more lipsticks! The purple looks absolutely stunning though, despite the fact I don't prefer matte lipsticks, I just know I'll want all of these... thanks Helen, you're such a lipstick enabler! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haaaa Ali you always need more lipsticks :P The purple is definitely my favourite one! xxx

      Delete
  12. For £1 each MUA is so hard to resist. Even if you hate the product you've hardly wasted a lot of money!

    xxx

    www.erinjaine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so hard to resist for the price - and you're spot on, it's not really that much of a waste. It's not like you've bought a Tom Ford lipstick and found out you hate it after £36 xxx

      Delete
  13. I'm definitely getting Scarlett Siren and Wild Berry!!

    Love this post, thank you!!

    Check out my blog if you like? http://harrietdoesmakeup.com/

    - Harriet xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - I hope you enjoy them when you get them :) xxx

      Delete
  14. What's the formula like? Is it more similar to the normal MUA lipsticks or lip boom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more similar to a normal MUA lipstick - although slightly harder (I find the normal lipsticks quite creamy and soft). I admit I haven't tried any of the Lip Booms because they've never appealed to me before but when I have tried one I'll get back to you with my thoughts and comparisons :) xxx

      Delete
  15. Lipstik orange is great.
    This post is fantastic. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. it sounds amazing , definately gonna try :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have all and think they're great!
    I have a blog post on loads of MAC dupes!! Check them out, they could come in handy :D berrylipspeachycheeks.blogspot.com xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was debating whether to get a couple of shades or not but they look good - especially for just a pound! Adding them to my shopping basket right this second!
    Alex x
    Fangirls&Foundations

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I adore every single one. Please feel free to link your blogs underneath your comments - I love finding new blogs to read!

It may take me a while to reply to comments so if you have any direct questions please tweet me @Superfluous_B and I'll get back to you more quickly there.

Comment moderation is in place to prevent spam. Spam includes: 'follow for follow comments', comments made with a link where the comment has no relevance to the post, anonymous comments that have no relevance to the post and trolling/hate. These will all be deleted.