Monday 30 September 2013

LOVES: BROW BEATERS

Brow_Beaters_1
Brow_Beaters_2


It wasn't until I started really getting into beauty products and makeup that I realized just how important brows are when it comes to framing the face. Without my brows filled in my face seems to have very little definition and somehow the whole look doesn't look finished. 


I haven't been one of those bloggers that hoards an insurmountable amount of brow kits though. I've been tempted (hasn't everyone?) by the latest brow crazes and hyped up 'must haves' but I've restrained myself. I've always plucked my eyebrows which is why I have so many tweezers in different shapes and sizes. I've had them threaded a couple of times (the first time being in the middle of a busy shopping center where my sister had to physically restrain me from getting it up it hurt that much) and I've had them re-shaped in a salon too (I never went back - the therapist made them far too thin and it aged me about 10 years). Plucking tends to be the best method as I prefer my eyebrows to be slightly thicker and more 'unkempt'. 


Powders are what I started using when I first started to fill my brows in. I received the HD Brow Kit in 'Vamp' from a Glossybox some time last year and fell in love with it although I soon came to realize that, really, it was just a well matched eye shadow colour for my hair and nothing magical. Unfortunately two of the pans completely smashed but they were colours I didn't use all that much anyway. After this came the Look Beauty Brow Perfect Palette which introduced me to the concept of mixing colours as well as stencils and brow gel. I never thought that much work went into beautifully groomed brows but by then I was obsessed.


The Fixing Gel from the Look Beauty kit inspired the purchase of No7 Lash and Brow Perfector which looked a little less crispy than the Fixing Gel did and ergo more natural for day-to-day wear. I've used and abused this, as you can see from the wear it's had, and although I've used it most days for nigh on six months it shows no sign of running out any time soon.


The most recent purchases were the Maybelline Master Shape Brow Pencil in 'Soft Brown' and the Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara in 'Medium Brown'. I decided I wanted a more defined line and colour whilst I embraced this autumn's trend of stronger brows so I purchased the pencil and hoped for the best. I love how it can be used really lightly for a softer look or more harshly for real definition. The waxy texture also keeps brows in place all day so a fixing gel isn't necessary. For a more 'natural' look it's the Sculpting Brow Mascara that I turn to. Because it's coloured I can get away with simply sweeping it through my brows and leaving them at that. The wand is a little hard to work with - the bulb like end needs some practice for it be mastered and not messy, but I do like it even though I'll have to think hard about repurchasing it.


Do you have a set brow routine? Am I missing out on a great product you'd recommend? Let me know below!

12 comments:

  1. All I need is tweezers, a brow brush and Benefit Brow Zings. I feel naked if I don't do my eyebrows.

    Jodie x
    www.retrococktail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm yet to try the Benefit BrowZings but I hear great things! xxx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Don't be sheepish - everyone is different! I just feel like I'm not complete without brows :) xxx

      Delete
  3. i love my no7 brow pencil but it's almost run out now!

    Katy @ THE RAWRDROBE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I shall look into No7 when my current brow pencil runs out - thank you for the recommendation! xxx

      Delete
  4. I just give mine a quick brush through then apply some faint eyeshadow from the Naked basics palette and i am good to go, really wanting to try the new Maybelline brow mascara as heard loads of positive things about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to use that shade - I'll give it a whirl! I like the brow mascara for days when I want a really natural look! xxx

      Delete
  5. Great post - I have been trying to buy the maybelline brow gel for ages but it is always out of stock! x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! Ooh no - perhaps ask when the shop's next delivery is so you can pop in and get it then? xxx

      Delete
  6. tweezers, quick brush, then a run through with a brow pencil and I'm done! I feel like I just dont look "quite right" without finished brows.... I honestly dont understand how I couldn't notice before... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling real well - I just don't look finished without my brows! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting. I adore every single one. Please feel free to link your blogs underneath your comments - I love finding new blogs to read!

It may take me a while to reply to comments so if you have any direct questions please tweet me @Superfluous_B and I'll get back to you more quickly there.

Comment moderation is in place to prevent spam. Spam includes: 'follow for follow comments', comments made with a link where the comment has no relevance to the post, anonymous comments that have no relevance to the post and trolling/hate. These will all be deleted.