Wednesday 11 July 2012

COLLECTION: LIP BALMS 2012





I have mentioned before that I love lip balms and if I am completely honest  I don't think that I could live without them. There is something lovely about knowing that I have a flake-free and plush pout on my face. Its a damned sight nicer to look, never mind kiss and talk with. For the amount of focus that our mouths receive every day - from speaking to eating to blowing bubbles and whistling along to our favorite songs - we need to make sure that they're kept in tip-top condition, which includes lips and not just our teeth (save that lecture for the dentists to administer).


I've recently adopted the saying 'there is no point putting polish on a dirty floor' and so I am trying to get more 'wise' and 'with it' when it comes to skin-care. Lip balms are a part of my skincare routine and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future. I'm listing the ones that I love below and why I love them so much.




PALMERS COCOA FORMULA 'DARK CHOCOLATE AND PEPPERMINT' LIP BUTTER
I stumbled across this product in Superdrug and thought I would give it a whirl. I vaguely remember seeing Sammi on Beauty-Crush feature it in one of her YouTube videos which is why it no doubt popped out at me. Not only does this product smell like I could sit and eat the whole tube (I'm in the process of trying - one slick on the lips at the time) it applies like a lip gloss and gives a wonderful sheen to the lips. Every woman I have said 'smell this' to has immediately demanded to know how, where and when they can get hold of it.  I began to use this product only recently but I will keep using it now. Mmmm... so good! Om nom nom...





VASELINE
What can be said about Vaseline that hasn't already been said about one thousand times before? It is so useful - not just for beauty purposes. I always have a pot of this knocking about the house (usually the kitchen). Vaseline is so intrinsically linked with my memories too that it would be shame to cut it out of my collection completely even though I know there now better balms on the market - when I was a little girl I used to suffer in the winter with enormously chapped lips to the point where I would come home in tears from the stinging of my bright red ugly mouth. Vaseline always sorted it out. Vaseline always cares.





FIGS & ROUGE 100% ORGANIC PEPPERMINT AND TEA TREE BALM
This is a balm that can be used on the lips, face or body but I use it solely for my mouth. This was actually a Glossybox sample from my April box. It's completely organic with no petroleum which gives it a strange 'bitty' texture when first applied but it's so nourishing and softening that I can't bare to part with it. It's the better part of £5 for a small pot which I think is a little extravagant for a lip-balm but I know I will have to replace this if I ever run out because it's amazing.



BLISTEX INTENSIVE MOISTURIZER
This is the balm that I use mostly in winter. When the weather becomes hideously cold and the central heating in people's homes causes all the moisture to seep my skin this is my rescue remedy. It really does intensively moisturize and produces a tingling feeling so that I know that it's working. The taste and smell aren't the most appetizing in the business but I'm willing to forego this aesthetic in favor of being flake-free and fancy-full.



CARMEX ORIGINAL
This was an impulse purchase during the crazy snow in the UK during February earlier this year. I was running late for work and had forgotten my bag. The cold was stinging my face whilst the wind whipped it into a reddened mess. My mouth was so sore and cold that I simply had to stop off in Boots to get a pot of balm (having forgotten my handbag in my rush). I had just over £2 in my pocket and picked up this. I can't say that it's my favourite but it certainly does the job that it's intended for. It made my lips go numb and smelt very strongly of menthol which was slightly off-putting but I stuck with it and it did soften my lips. I've recently noticed that there is a cherry version available so I will have to investigate that one and see if I would prefer that!

Do you own any of these lip-balms? Are there any that you want to try? 
Let me know - all comments loved and appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. I adore every single one. Please feel free to link your blogs underneath your comments - I love finding new blogs to read!

It may take me a while to reply to comments so if you have any direct questions please tweet me @Superfluous_B and I'll get back to you more quickly there.

Comment moderation is in place to prevent spam. Spam includes: 'follow for follow comments', comments made with a link where the comment has no relevance to the post, anonymous comments that have no relevance to the post and trolling/hate. These will all be deleted.